Microsoft uses file association to set the default programs to open different types on all the operating systems. When users open a file, be it images, text, or documents on Windows then it will automatically open the file incompatible program.
While the default file associations work properly but there are times when you might think to replace third-party programs. In this guide, we will learn about different methods to to know how do i change file associations in windows 10.
What is Windows File Association?
File association is an essential component of the operating system that will associate all kinds of files supported on the system with help of compatible applications. So, you don’t have to choose the right program for the file manually every time you open it.
All the major operating systems like Mac OS, Linux, and Windows have different ways to implement file-type associations. While talking about Windows, the operating system is used to open verb the associated program for file type and associate to the user to perform an edit or other action.
Methods to Change Windows 10 File Association in File Explorer
Now, let’s have a look at the methods to smoothly change Windows 10 file association.
- Change One File
The quick and best method available is to change the single file. To change a single file, open with. The only problem is that you can change one file type at one time. If you want to change more than one file then skip to the next section.
- For this, right-click on the file that you want to change the association.
- From the resulting menu, choose open with.
- After that, Windows will offer you an application or list of applications that will act as the default for the file type. If you want to see the one that you want then choose and ensure that box is labeled as “always use the apps to open files” is ticked. If you don’t prefer the app then tap to more apps for an expanded list of installed applications.
- After finding the application that you want, simply click on the grey OK button.
After completing the steps, the file will be opened as per your selected application.
- Change Any and All
If you are interested to change a different file type or all of them then the settings menu is a perfect place where you can go.
- Click on the Windows key and X and tap to settings from the resulted menu. Also, in the Windows search bar, search settings and tap to relevant results.
- From the available list of options, choose apps.
- Tap to default application from the left-hand menu.
- Now, scroll down and tap to choose default apps by file type. After that, you will be presented with the list of the file types of Windows 10 that support the associated application. If a file doesn’t have that specific application, there will be a grey “+” icon.
- Scroll down and find the file type that you want to change in the file association. Tap to the application or the “+” icon to right.
- Select the preferred application from the available list and click on the icon.
- Change File Association Using Command Prompt
If you want an efficient method to change file association on the computer then you can try using the command prompt. To use the command prompt, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + X to open the Power Users Menu and choose the command prompt from the menu.
- Type assoc in the CMD window and followed by file extension for which you want a default program and tap to enter. For instance: to know about default association for .txt files, run: assoc .txt.
- You need to run in proper syntax to change file association: assoc file_extension”path_to_program.”
- Lastly, you need to verify the changes by using the assoc file_extension syntax.
Check out the guide and know how to easily change the file association for different file types on Windows 10 PC and you need to run it by using the preferred third-party program. Check out the available methods that we have mentioned above as all these methods are well-suitable for changing the file associations. Along with it, it will present the entire list of file types and the associated default applications.
Apart from it, if you are dealing with any other issue like steps to uninstall Xbox on Windows 10 then you can check out the user manual to know the details.